NSW Group Study Exchange Team

NSW Group Study Exchange Team
Perri Calderwood, Sophie Hunter, Howard Davy, Rebekah Schulz, Zoe Terpening

Saturday, April 24, 2010

What is GSE all about?





Before I boarded the plane to Connecticut, USA, I thought the Group Study Exchange (GSE) was all about visiting professionals who share a common career path. A Library Manager in Australia will therefore meet up with another Library Manager in Connecticut. They will share stories, find commonalities and discuss difference. And this has certainly occurred on my GSE. The Otis Library in Norwich, Connecticut shares many similarities in terms of staffing, processes and patrons. And it was fascinating to discuss the differences between Hurstville City Library and the Otis Library.

What has surprised me, what I never expected, was how many amazing people I would meet on the GSE. And they are not just from my own profession. In one short week I've met doctors, teachers, nurses, wedding planners, web designers, IT experts....and many more. I've been overwhelmed by everyone's generosity, willingness to help, and genuine interest in the Australian GSE team and our experiences.

I feel very fortunate to be part of this exchange and I'm looking forward to the next 3 weeks of vocational visits and opportunities to meet many more incredible people.

Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment